Western Mass. Medicare for All encourages the formation of groups called “hubs” and supports them in their work. These groups are ‘hubs of single-payer activity’ in different towns and cities across the region. Often hubs form as a committee or task force within a larger multi-issue organization.
Non-Binding Ballot Questions in 2018:
In order to demonstrate widespread voter support for Single Payer in Mass., several of our hubs will be working to place and pass a non-binding question on the November ballot in their legislative districts. This movement-building campaign is part of a statewide initiative coordinated by the Single Payer Strategy Forum.
Examples of what our hubs did in 2017:
- Passed resolutions supporting Medicare for All legislation in Mass. at several town
meetings in Franklin County, and the City Council in Northampton.
- Calculated savings for cities and towns under the proposed legislation.
- Tabled at farmers’ markets – talked with neighbors, distributed literature, and signed folks up for our listserv.
- Lobbied state legislators individually and in group delegations and at a Lobby Day event in Boston in November.
- Participated in public demonstrations to defend the Affordable Care Act and promote Medicare for All, and to stand up for racial justice.
Contact Information for Local Hubs:
Western Mass. Medicare for All regional network: Contact Deborah Levenson and Jon Weissman, Co-conveners – info[at]wmMedicareforall.org
In Amherst: Medicare for All Amherst Area Hub. Contact Anita Sarro – asarro05[at]gmail.com
In Easthampton: Contact Sara Weinberger – saraweinberger128[at]gmail.com
In Franklin County: Franklin County Continuing the Political Revolution, Single Payer Task Force. Contact Judy Atkins – judithga[at]comcast.net
In the Hilltowns: Contact Beth Eisenberg – jubilada[at]icloud.com
In Holyoke: Medicare for All Committee of Pioneer Valley Democratic Socialists of America. Contact Chris Martin – craymartin90[at]gmail.com
In Northampton: Medicare for All Committee of Indivisible Northampton. Contact Nancy Talanian – ntalanian[at]gmail.com
In Springfield: Contact Tim Oppenheimer – timoppenheimer[at]gmail.com
Pioneer Valley chapter of Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP): Contact Cathie Korey – cathiejk[at]gmail.com
Health Care Providers for Single Payer: Contact Melanie Lewis – melaniewlewis[at]gmail.com